Sunday, March 30, 2014

Starting over.....

After 14 years, I have said goodbye to 9NEWS. I have no doubt when I  look back, it will be one of the very significant events in my life. And even though I have had my fair share of changes in my life (i.e.: military brat!) this one has been a really emotional decision for lots of reasons. I grew up at 9NEWS...I have been there since I was in my mid 20's and have experienced so many life events.....10 different job titles under one roof, Brian's diagnosis, chairing brain tumor walks (12 of them!), meeting Jon, getting married, having our two amazing children, moving homes....not to mention the long list of people that have come and gone from the station that have had an impact on my life.
I have met some of my best friends while at the station and know those relationships will carry on.
This is an even bigger leap, in that I am leaving the only industry I have ever known since college. It's scary but it's also exciting to think about this next chapter.
Brady and Lylah, whatever career path you my choose, I hope that you have as rewarding of an experience as I have had at 9NEWS but I hope you also aren't afraid to venture out and try something new, for the right reasons. I have worked in advertising sales/business development for so long that it is almost routine for me. This next adventure, as Director of Corporate and Community Relations at Children's Hospital, will plunge me into the medical world, yet still allow me to develop relationships with tons of businesses and non profits that truly interest me. And at the end of the day, everything I will be doing will be to try to help young children in Colorado....something that is near and dear to me with my two little munchkins at home...it can't get better than that!!
There is something to be said for working for the same company for so long. I learned loyalty and commitment, and also how to grow and challenge myself under one roof. I learned about relationships, both with clients and co-workers and I learned how to flourish under different managers, cultures and job titles.
And, I had the ability to work part time for the last 6 years, which has been a blessing. I feel very lucky to have had the extra time with both kids while doing a job I enjoyed.
My last two weeks at 9NEWS were bittersweet. I knew it was time to go....new management, different philosophies, too much turnover of great people.....and a yearning to try something new.
I will never forget how loved and special I felt those last two weeks by the people at work that matter the most. When the announcement was made, there was astonishment, confusion and lots of tears. At my going away cocktail party, friends showed up from days of old and current times....it was truly remarkable. I was loaded up with a memory book, spa certificates and tons of hugs and tears again.
And then the last day, I sat in my last sales meeting at 9NEWS and gave a brief goodbye speech while looking around the room at several of my closest friends. When I was done, one person stood up and started clapping, and then another...and another, until the whole room of 40+ was on their feet, while I sat there and cried, feeling awkward and silly yet strangely happy! It was a really nice feeling.
Presents showed up on my desk out of nowhere, more tears, hugs and goodbyes and then I walked down the hallway for the last time and out the doors, with Brady and Lylah close by my side.
In two days, I start my new career, amongst a mixture of emotions. Sadness at a door closing and relationships that may not remain exactly the same yet curiosity, excitement and anxiety over what comes next. It will be just like those first days in all of the new schools I started in so many different cities and countries........Don't Look Back, Onward....... I say!!!!
 
 

1 comment:

Family Sledding Day

Family Sledding Day